Learning, Motivation, and Theory [Response]

The videos about science video and riding bicycle were very interesting and simple to understand because they include visual, which helps me. However, I found the reading that discuss behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism a bit difficult to understand. The author used some vocabularies that I am not very familiar with. When I realize this problem, I search in the online dictionary, but I find that some of the words are still hard to get the meaning. After that, I ask my girlfriend to help me with the concept, because she is speaking English as first language. When she explains it to me, I find the concept is very easy to understand because she know me well and how to explain clearly for me. This make me realized that learning should be personal.

Every person have a different way to understanding because of their different experience and connection to other topic, like the author mention in the textbook. Of course, in a large course at universities, it is not possible for the professor to make the course customizing for every person, but I think it is good to find your own way in a course. Sometimes, when we do not understand well the teaching style of the teacher or writing of author, we can find help. When learning a difficult topic, I can ask my friend or classmate, and they can know me well already so to explain it in a way that work for me personally.

Personally I like the concept in the constructivism approach. Constructivism focused on the real world and recognize that everyone have different interpretation of world. So I think this approach makes a lot of sense because I find that even we read the same thing, we can have different understanding. And constructivism think that transfer comes from authentic tasks in meaningful contexts, and I think that is true because I feel I cannot learn something well unless I have some practice with it in real world. If I just reading something, I maybe don’t understand as well than if I can do some experiment.